On laundry day, your mind is on a mission which can keep you from realizing how handy common laundry room items can be. One example: dryer sheets—a single sheet packs a serious punch. Here are 10 little-known uses for dryer sheets.
Uses for Dryer Sheets Around the House
- Tame the Frizz: On dry days, make fly-aways a thing of the past by rubbing a dryer sheet through your hair. Besides reducing the frizz caused by static, your hair will be left smelling fresh.
- Squeaky Clean Baseboards: Keep your baseboards tidy by swapping your duster for a dryer sheet. Not only will the dryer sheet pick up dust and hair, the natural anti-cling properties also help repel future buildup.
- Refresh Smelly Shoes: Stinky shoes? Easy fix. Roll up a dryer sheet or two and stick them inside your shoes to give them new life.
- Natural Mosquito Repellent: Not a fan of bug spray? Try a chemical-free approach—simply stick a few dryer sheets in your pocket or under your hat to keep bugs at bay.
- Clear Away Pet Hair: We’ll never know how pet hair gets so engrained into clothes and furniture, but we do know how to remove it. Simply rub a dryer sheet on the surface and the static will pull the hair from the fabric.
- Eliminate Iron Gunk: Make your iron glide as smooth as the day you got it. Place a dryer sheet on your ironing board and with your iron on low, rub it over the sheet until any buildup is gone.
- Deodorant Eraser: No need to change your shirt after you see a deodorant stain on it. Instead, grab a dryer sheet and rub it on the deodorant until it disappears.
- De-squeak Shoes: For that pair of shoes that just won’t stop squeaking, try rubbing a dryer sheet on the soles. To keep shoes quiet, repeat every few wears.
- Freshen a Room: Seasons that cause closed windows can lead to musty smells. Remove your vent cover and tape a dryer sheet inside to get a boost of fresh around the house.
- Soften Stuck-on Food: Whether you’re a beginner or experienced cook, food stuck to or burned on pans happens to everyone. Skip the scrubbing and save your sanity by adding a dryer sheet with warm water to the effected pot. Let it soak overnight and wash with a sponge the next day.
Did your favorite uses for dryer sheets make our list? Head over to our Facebook page and share your best tips with us.